Pause


Work for my current long-term project Taghiwayat na naging Nunal continues.  Next month, an artist-run space in Bangkok will be showing the project.  

The project already has a few successful one-on-one storytelling art sessions under its belt.  Also, last week, my brother's book of poetry was launched and detail shots from Taghiwayat na naging Nunal were used for the book's cover art.

Amid the hustle and bustle of project development, I find myself taking a pause.  What sort of pause?  The pause that involves going through piles and piles and boxes and boxes of personal belongings, home accessories, and art materials.  Yep, the pause that involves going through the mother load.

Thankfully, I am nearly done feeding this sudden appetite.  Sometimes, "journeys" like these start when you are looking for something and really need to find it already.  I wasn't looking for any specific thing.  I suppose I felt that things were too "here and there" and felt the need to consolidate.  

As I was reorganizing these things, I remember how my father used to do this, too.  And how, like me, he would sniff and sneeze through the process.  It always ended with a few solved puzzles - a new funky use for a thing that was previously in storage.

I claim in my bio that my art practice taps into material cultures.  I suspect that this "journey" - which my parents often took and that I, too, have taken dozens of times - had started me off in this direction.

Comments

Popular Posts