Auma design collaboration


Auma

Auma is a product of design collaboration between Nana Sukarna, a talented wood artist living in Jatiwangi, West Java, Indonesia, and myself. 


The collaboration transpired while I was an artist-in-resident in JaF


Before personally meeting Nana Sukarna, I had already seen some of his work in my research for my residency there.  I was impressed with the work he and an artist from Australia did some years back; the artist was also doing residency in JaF at the time.  Nana has an elegant eye for color.  In Jatiwangi, he paints on intricately carved wooden bird cages, a locally in-demand craft.  But through these collaborations, he is able to explore and expand his range.  When I met him, he was also working on a set of art pieces with an artist from Holland, another artist-in-resident of Jaf. 

The Auma Belts
Here is Auma.  Proudly hand-crafted.
And to the special folks who supported my latest design exploration, I hope you enjoy your Auma.


___________________________________
Another design collaboration, with an NGO in Orissa, India:
http://wearmesa.blogspot.com/2011/12/from-tree-of-life-design-collaboration.html

Comments

Popular Posts